Absolutely yumsicles (it’s a word I just made up. Just saying “yummy” would not do this recipe justice). One of my friends loved it so much that he asked me to make a special batch just for him. So here it is, adapted from Namely Marly.
Carob Chip Cookie Cheesecake Bars
- 2 tbsp. of ground flax meal
- 2 tbsp. of corn starch
- 6 tbsp. of water
- 1 cup(s) of Earth Balance Margarine
- 3/4 cup(s) of brown sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) of granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. of vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup(s) of flour (substitute gluten-free flour here if you’d like a gluten-free version)
- 1 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 2 cup(s) of carob chips
- Vegan Cheesecake Filling (see recipe below)
- Begin by warming your oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 X 9 baking pan with vegetable spray.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons ground flax meal, 2 tablespoons corn starch, and 6 tablespoons water. Stir well and set aside to thicken.
- Next combine the 1 cup of Earth Balance margarine, 3/4 cup brown sugar, and 3/4 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl. Stir vigorously (or use a mixer) until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and flax meal mixture to the margarine mixture and stir until well combined.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the margarine mixture and stir until everything is well incorporated. Add carob chips.
- Press half of the cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 18 – 20 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- In the meantime prepare the Cheesecake Filling (see recipe below).
- Once the bottom layer of the cookie bars have cooled, spoon the Cheesecake Filing over the top.
- Cover that with spoonfuls of the remaining cookie dough. You may have spots where the Cheesecake Filling is showing through, but don’t worry, the cookie topping will spread out as it bakes.
- Place the pan back in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before cutting and serving.
Vegan Cheesecake Filling
- 1 8 oz container vegan cream cheese (I used the Tofutti brand)
- 1 cup(s) of sugar
- 2 tbsp. of corn starch
- 1 tbsp. of ground flax seed
- 3 tbsp. of water
- 3 tbsp. of lemon juice (or the juice of one lemon)
- Combine the container of vegan cream cheese and 1 cup of sugar in a medium bowl. Stir until well combined.
- In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons of corn starch, 1 tablespoon of flax seed, and 3 tablespoons of water. Stir and then pour into cream cheese mixture. Continuing stirring until all the ingredients are well acquainted.
- Add the 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and stir again, until everything’s all mixed together.